General Information: 314.996.7020 | 844.996.7020

Health Library

How to Find the Medicare Forms You Need

Filling out all of the forms you need to enroll in Medicare can be overwhelming. You may need a form to appeal a denied claim, file a claim, make a complaint, or apply for more coverage. Just figuring out where to start can be a challenge.

Fortunately, a number of resources are available to help you find answers to questions, resolve issues, and locate the forms needed for Medicare coverage.

Types of forms

Many different forms are needed for Medicare. These forms include:

  • Enrollment forms

  • Authorization forms

  • Appeals forms, to appeal a claim that has been denied for payment

  • Complaint forms

  • Claim forms to request payment for your medical expenses

Enrollment forms

You can fill out a Medicare application or enrollment form online or on paper. You can find the online Medicare application or enrollment form at the Medicare website @ www.medicare.gov.  There, you will answer a series of questions that will determine whether you are eligible to enroll in Medicare.

Web resources

If you're a Web-savvy older adult, use the Internet to look for more information about your Medicare benefits or to find appropriate forms. Check out these sites for Medicare forms:

  • Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). The link on the CMS website @ www. cms.gov will help you search for the forms you need. Just print the forms, fill them out, and send them to the address listed on the forms.

  • Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare. Visit the Medicare site @ www. medicare.gov for useful information on how and when to enroll in Medicare. This site will also tell you how to understand your Medicare benefits and how to find forms. Click the tabs at the top of the page for information on a wide range of Medicare topics.

Phone numbers

If you have questions, you can also call the CMS at 800-MEDICARE (800-633-4227). Representatives can send you the appropriate forms or guide you to a website where you can get the forms you need.

Enrolling in your plan

To enroll in a Medicare plan managed by a private insurance company, contact the insurance company for the forms you will need. Such plans include a Medicare Part C/Medicare Advantage plan, a Medicare D prescription drug plan, or a Medigap plan. If you already know which plan you want, you can enroll in that plan online.

Remember that you can only enroll in your new Medicare plan during the 3 months before you turn 65 and for 7 months after, or during the annual open enrollment period for the year.